The 27th of September is World Tourism Day. The Malta Tourism Authority is celebrating this year's theme - "Tourism & Biodiversity" - by issuing a set of four stickers which feature typical organisms of the Maltese Islands.
Understandably, the variety of flora and fauna pictured is diverse and includes a plant, two invertebrates, and two vertebrates. These are, respectively:
- Capparis orientalis Veillard (noted on the sticker under the synonym Capparis spinosa L.);
- Papilio machaon melitensis Eller, 1936 (an endemic butterfly);
- Echinaster sepositus sepositus (Retzius, 1783);
- Epinephelus marginatus (Lowe, 1834) (noted on the sticker under the synonym Epinephelus guaza L., 1758);
- and the Maltese national bird Monticola solitarius L., 1758.